Techniques and Equipment for Safety Pruning
– Pruning techniques at height: pruning safety
– Safety when pruning: ladder not recommended
– Aerial work platforms: a safe way to prune trees
– Tree climbing: safety and pruning
Safe pruning: techniques and materials
For maximum safety, pruning at height requires multiple skills and mastering rules, techniques and specific equipment. The modern techniques of climbing pruning are pretty recent, and the equipment is constantly evolving. The objective of the methods of pruning in height is:
– to better preserve the trees;
– and to limit the risks for the pruners.
Pruning techniques at height: the safety of pruning
There are several possibilities to trim or dismantle trees over 6 m high in a safe environment:
– The ladder for access to the tree only: working from a ladder is prohibited for pruning.
– The aerial platform for access and work.
– Rope climber.
Safety for pruning: ladder not recommended
The high ladder is not recommended for pruning because its use presents safety risks.
Pruning safety: the risks of the ladder
The ladder is dangerous for pruning for at least two reasons:
– uncertain support: unless it is supported on the shaft (and not on the branches), the head of the ladder is likely to slip, especially in the event of wind shaking the tree branches;
– moving support: it is rare to find a firm and perfectly flat surface for a ladder to remain stable; sinking a foot most often results in the operator falling.
Safety tips for ladder pruning
Here are some tips for using a ladder with the utmost care:
– a person present at the bottom of the ladder at all times to watch its support;
– do not use a chainsaw on a ladder;
– limit the height of intervention to 2/3 of the total height of the ladder.
Aerial work platform: a safe way to prune
The aerial platform is a safe and practical device for pruning at height: the operator has the same working safety from the ground. You can rent an aerial work platform for fast and efficient work safety.
Advantages of the pruning platform: same safety as on the ground
The work platform is spacious and safe enough to work with chain-driven machines:
– secure hold: the platform is surrounded by a guardrail that can dispense the need for a pruning harness;
– Stable support: an outdoor aerial work platform is self-stabilizing and can be used as a safety device in case of risk of tipping.
Tips for the use of a pruning platform
Here are the precautions to take to work safely with a cherry picker:
– Mandatory choice of a cherry picker for outdoor use;
– if using a chainsaw: wear PPE: Personal Protective Equipment (cut-resistant gloves, helmet, glasses, etc.);
– Avoid having the bucket penetrate the crown of foliage.
Climbing in trees: safety and pruning
Do not climb a live tree with pruning claws that will damage the bark. It is necessary to practice free climbing, which requires
– a minimum of technique (roped climbing method)and equipment;
– to take essential precautions to secure the climber.
Techniques of rope climbing
Rope climbing is done using two independent lanyards attached to a harness with carabiners and self-locking knots (Prusik knot) with or without a descender.
The climber can access the tree in several ways:
– free climbing (secured by ropes)
– English style” climbing: a kind of reverse abseiling by pulling oneself up the rope with the arms, with the feet on the shaft;
– footlocker: the classic method of locking the rope between the feet for rope climbing.
Safety pruning by climbing technique
Here are the essential requirements for safe tree trimming:
– mandatory training in the use of lanyards, halyards, false forks, etc.;
– Mandatory wearing of climbing equipment: harness with ropes, carabiners, descenders, etc.;
– Wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): pruning helmet, cut-resistant clothing and gloves, glasses, hearing protection, etc.: pruning helmet, cut-resistant clothing and gloves, glasses, hearing protection, etc.
For your safety, it is recommended to call upon a pruning company, a climber or a lumberjack for this very technical work.